Friday, November 18, 2016

Current Reads

I've read quite a bit these past few weeks, mainly because multiple books I had on hold at the library became available at the same time.  Funny how it always seems to happen that way.  A month can pass by without any books freeing up and then suddenly, three pop up within days of each other.

First up is Remember Me Like This by Bret Anthony Johnston.  I loved this book.  The author's writing style reminded me of The Goldfinch so if that book is on your favorites list, you should definitely read this one.  Note that it is not as long as The Goldfinch.  When an 11 year old boy disappears, his family is left to pick up the pieces and live with the unanswered questions of what happened to him.  His miraculous return home four years later is joyous but strenuous.  The majority of the book takes place after Justin returns home.  This is not a crime/mystery novel.  The character development was superb and I actually have nothing negative to say about this book.

I would classify The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena as a beach read.  The main characters are at a dinner party next door when their unattended baby is kidnapped.  Who took the baby and why?  This book was written as a page turner but almost in an outlandish way.  I found myself rolling my eyes or saying, "Seriously" quite a bit.  I wasn't a fan but because it was super quick read, I didn't feel that I had wasted my time.

You Will Know Me by Megan Abbott is another mystery, page turner but with better writing.  Here's a blurb from Amazon:

How far will you go to achieve a dream? That's the question a celebrated coach poses to Katie and Eric Knox after he sees their daughter Devon, a gymnastics prodigy and Olympic hopeful, compete. For the Knoxes there are no limits--until a violent death rocks their close-knit gymnastics community and everything they have worked so hard for is suddenly at risk. 

I feel somewhat neutral about this book.  I didn't love it, but I didn't completely dislike it either.  The mom annoyed the hell out of me though.  I didn't agree with her actions and she almost seemed to have no common sense at times.

And apparently I've decided to read all the blogger books.  Positive reviews for Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton kept popping up so I looked into it.  I'd never heard of this blogger before but based upon what others were saying, I added Love Warrior to my hold list and checked out Carry On, Warrior.  Her first book seems to be a collection of various blog posts.  Meh.  It was okay.  Too much God talk for my liking.  I do like memoirs and I thought that's what this way.  It's not, in my opinion.  I'm currently in the middle of Love Warrior now and it's the memoir that I was looking for.  I'll let you know what I think when I've finished reading it.


Happy Friday!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm currently reading Remember Me Like This on your recommendation, and halfway through I'm loving it! I've liked every book you've rated highly on here, so there's another side business to consider....

Sarah said...

Thank you for this comment! I hadn't thought about doing anything book related.