Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Stillbirth

This is about stillbirth and grief.

My grief.

When you experience a terrible loss, and please note that I dislike using the word loss as it implies the opposite, found, is a possibility, it's only natural to grieve.  And those around you may grieve as well, but their grief is different from yours and we all grieve in a different manner.  Family and friends will want you to feel better because then they themselves will feel better so they may push thoughts and actions onto you.

It's okay to feel however you want to feel.

It has been eleven years, four months and seven days since Abigail's death and I came to an epiphany of sorts just last week.  After Abigail passed away, Rich and I met with two different counselors.  A positive experience came from a session with a social worker at a local hospital.  She very much focused on how no one was to blame for Abigail's stillbirth.  Unfortunately, our meeting with a private counselor was very different.  Now, I admit that I wasn't keen on going to meet with this woman in the first place.  I feel like I tried to keep an open mind but her focus was on God and I was not in a place to talk about God.  If I wanted to discuss God and his actions and at the time, my beliefs, I would have gone to a priest.  My memory may be foggy as this was more than ten years ago but I distinctly remember her trying to make a connection between God allowing children in Africa to die and God allowing Abigail to die.  I felt like she was attempting to use this connection to force me to admit that yes, God allows people to die and we should move on.  I stalked out of that building full of anger.

Last week, I was finally able to voice what I wish I could have said all those years ago.  Abigail belonged to me.  Her death belongs to me.  This is mine.  This grief and anger and upset is mine and I don't want anyone telling me what I should do with it.

(Obviously, Abigail's death impacted others (Rich!) and not just me.  I'm referring to those outside of that direct impact.)

People are so quick to offer advice and opinions and help, but there were times I wanted to be alone in my grief.  I wanted to work through my anger by myself.  This shouldn't be wrong, just as seeing a therapist or a counselor or a social worker isn't wrong.  Death, grief, guilt - it's all so very personal.  Do what you feel is right, not what others want you do.

October is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month.  My experience is with "unexplained" stillbirth and so that is what I speak of.  If you're pregnant, you should fully understand kick counts and their importance.  I used to believe that a baby would come when she was ready.  No one ever sat me down and discussed stillbirth or what signs to look for, especially in an overdue pregnancy.  Some may say that the risk of stillbirth is low in babies who go past 40 weeks, but that risk doesn't seem so low to me.  

5 comments:

Tracey's Life said...

Sarah, I really don't have the words to make your feel better, but I want and need to respond to your post, because you so eloquently put your feelings out there. I think all I can say is that I am sorry you lived this. I do know from other friends who have lost a child sharing their feelings on loss is that they say so many people now avoid them simply because they don't know what to say and I acknowledge that this is your life and that there will always be a before Abby and after Abby and for that I am so very sorry. Hugs

Sarah said...

Thank you, Tracey

Anonymous said...

I’ve been reading for a long time and I’m glad you are still talking about Abigail on this blog. What could have been. Grief over time. It always breaks my heart to read these posts. I admire your courage to put this out there for the world. It’s inspiring to see your reflection on how support (or lack of it) shapes your mindset. I’m happy that you feel empowered now to feel how you want to feel.

Anonymous said...

I have been reading for a long time and have never commented before. But I had a coworker and also a good friend go thru this. She was overdue, first child and the baby was still born. She had been to the dr 2 days before and everything was "ok" in theory. I am seen first hand the trauma she went thru. She also had a girl - coincidence??? Don't know what to say about your loss other than deeply sorry. We need more research on this for sure

Anonymous said...

My daughter Tabitha was stillborn close to 9 1/2 years ago. This post has come closest to putting into words what's in my head/heart these days too.